If there is one thing we know for sure, it’s that families go through ALOT of laundry! There is usually laundry coming out of our ears and every time you think you are caught up, guess what… more shows up! That’s why when when we saw this DIY Laundry Detergent in 5 Minutes from Jornie.com, we just knew our lives would be changed forever!
We have noticed a very strong shift in the market of making household cleaning items that used to be bought, such as laundry detergent, dishwater detergent, and just about any other cleaner. And we love it! Making your own laundry detergent ends up costing a fraction of the cost of buying much harsher chemical-infused items at the store.
So if you love DIY and love saving money and knowing exactly what is going into the items you are using to clean your clothes, than this DIY Laundry Detergent recipe from Jornie.com is for you! And since she has done all of the heavy lifting on testing it out, you already can rest assured that it is going to get out even the toughest stains on your clothes and you will only need one tablespoon per load. That’s it!
And the best part?!?! True to the title… it will only take you FIVE MINUTES to make! So easy!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Get Started:
Recipe includes enough ingredients for 2 Mason Jars full of detergent, which will last most families 1-2 months.
- 2 Quart-Sized Mason Jars
- 1 5 oz bar of Fels Naptha soap
- 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax Powder
- 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (DON’T Confuse with Baking Soda)
- Boiling Water
- Essential Oils – Optional for smell. Consider using tea tree, lavender, or any other oil you love.
Some of these items you may have never even heard of before. It can be a little overwhelming wondering where in the heck you are going to go and buy these items! Don’t worry… we’ve got you covered! Most can be found in the detergent aisle at almost any grocery store and essential oils are found at any Whole Food or similar place (thanks for helping us out on that one, Jornie.com!) You’ll also need an Osterizer or similar blender to help crush up all of that wonderful soap you just purchased!
- Chop the Fels Naptha soap bars into 1″ cubes. Divide this in half and distribute evenly between your two mason jars.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of BOILING water to each jar
3. Cover the jars loosely with caps and let it sit overnight to begin to gel.
4. The next day, use a butter knife to make a criss-cross pattern in the gelled Fels Naptha. Make sure you are cutting all the way down to the bottom of the jar.
5. Add 1/2 cup Borax and 1/2 cup Super Washing Soda to each jar.
6. Fill each jar to the shoulders with BOILING WATER.
7. Attach the blender head only of an Osterizer or similar blender directly to each jar and blend until smooth. When complete, the detergent should be about the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Don’t have an Osterizer? Jornie.com suggests to dump the contents of the jar into any blender. Blend, than scrape back into the jar for storage. CAUTION: Make sure you clean whatever you used VERY well before you use it again with food!
You’re done! How easy was that?! Don’t be alarmed if you notice that the mixture solidifies a little bit as it sits. You can still scoop it out easily with a spoon to use for your laundry!
Don’t forget… you ONLY need to use a tablespoon with each load of laundry! That’s it! Also, if you have a front-loading washer, make sure to put the detergent directly in with the clothes, not in the detergent tray. Jornie.com promises that it will begin to dissolve as soon as water enters the load and than voila! You’re on your way to clean laundry with a detergent you made yourself with ingredients that were dirt cheap!
Click on the following link for more details and to view the original article and image credit: 5-Minute Laundry Detergent